Monday 4 October 2010

Contrast Theme:

Contrast is the difference between two visual elements. The difference is very easy to spot and is a good way of creating a specific mood/atmosphere or show and emphasise a meaning. For this project I want to look at contrast between subject and its environment. In this case the subject will be people and as the environment I want to use sort of derelict areas for my background.

.

To show contrast I want the people in my images to be dressed in a way which makes them sophisticated and glamorous compared to their surroundings; so to show the contrast between rich and poor in a way. As well as the contrast in the pictures I also want to create specific moods within the images so to give a deeper meaning to the photo rather than it just being a image of someone in a random place. To help with this I might at a later stage look at some sort of literature i.e. a poem or song, to act as text to go along with my images and maybe create a story within my photos. Additionally, I like the idea of using a child in the same surrounding as this would show a bigger contrast between the derelict and abandoned environment,as well as carry a deeper meaning as children portray innocence so that itself would raise questions.
.
.

Thomas Hoepker: GERMANY. Hamburg. 1963. (http://www.magnumphotos.com)


Jacob Aue Sobol: Thailand. Bangkok. 2008. (http://www.magnumphotos.com)





.